Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Vanishing & Get Carter & Blak Wings

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 30 Jan 2002

John Lau said:

> the ending of the American version was absolutely ludicrous and
completely
> invalidates the entire point of making the picture in the first place.
> --

Yep. Erick Anderson said ; I'd hate to go through life thinking that the characters from the source material were as tedious and unsympathetic as they were shown to be in the movie.
(re "Get Carter" remake). I'm not so sure about "tedious", but "unsympathetic" is a fairly accurate assessment of the characters in "Jack's Return Home" & "Get Carter", the original film version.As I recall the first film version was very close to the book, just a couple of cosmetic changes.Personally, I don't mind unsympathetic characters & it must be remembered that Carter is a British equivalent of a Mob enforcer.Just how likeable would you expect these chaps to be?(Quentin Tarantino et al aside I doubt that they would be that personable - it's not a job requirement). By the way, it was only while watching it again , on video, recently that I noticed what Carter/Caine was reading on the train from London to Newcastle - a Chandler paperback. I wonder if that would make him a little more likeable to people on this list :) Bill Crider : should you wish to share your article on "Black Wings" with the rest of the world, I think I could live with that.