Spoorloos aka The Vanishing (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Matt Helm)

From: Eddie Duggan ( Eddie.Duggan@suffolk.ac.uk)
Date: 30 Jan 2002

"Rene Ribic" < rribic@optusnet.com.au> writ:

[SNIP]
> "Get Carter" - what is the point in redoing this
> classic as a Hollywood flick? The things that made
> the original unique include the grim Newcastle industrial
> scenery & views of Northern English working & criminal
> classes & Michael Caine's mesmerising & reptilian hero/
> villain.I might be wrong but I'm guessing the remake had
> a "happy" ending & a love interest (as did the US remake
> of that Dutch film, name escapes me, featuring a guy
> trying to find out what happened to his girlfriend
[SNIP]
> Same director did both versions).

The title of the Dutch film is Spooloos (1988), but it is also known by the English title, The Vanishing. It is based on Tim Krabbe's novel, The Golden Egg. The director, George Sluizer, remade the film ('the American version'), again called The Vanishing, in 1993.

I haven't seen the US version. The Dutch film was shown on UK TV sometime last year. It was very dark. Apparently, the Dutch film is
'the one to see', and it was, IMO, well worth watching; I can't comment on whether the ending of the remake is 'lighter' or happier. (Perhaps I shoukd also add that I haven't read Krabbe's novel, so can't comment on the relationship between them.)

There is a critical essay on the two films by John O. Thompson (who turned me on to Jim Thompson [no relation] btw!) I can't recall the reference off the top off my head, but if anyone's interested, I can look it up and post it without going to any trouble.

ED