Re: RARA-AVIS: manhunter

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 26 Jan 2002

> rented the "manhunter" movie. it was excellent. whoever played lecter
> was major scary. you could smell the insanity rolling off him. creepy.
> and i liked the way they showed will graham slowly piecing together
> the evidence and figuring it out by thinking like the murderer. worked
> for me
Will Graham is also in a William Friedkin directed movie, "To Live & Die in LA", based on Gerald Petievich (that name again!) novel of same name. I saw it when it first came out on video back in the 80's but I recall it as a very hb, noirish sort of flick & I enjoyed it. I remember that at the beginning I thought that I was watching a very bog standard cops & robbers flick & then something happens in the story that's like a punch in the face, & I just sat there thinking, "whoa, this is not the sory I thought it was" & from there on in I found it gripping.Haven't seen it since, so I don't know how it's weathered. I understand that at least some fans of the book aren't happy with the transition to film but not having acually read that one myself I can't comment.These days Graham is the star of his own TV show & it's so godawful it makes me squirm - from the ludicrous stories to Graham's smug hamminess (or hammy smugness?) it's a tribute to inanity.That's showbiz. Rene.