Re: RARA-AVIS: Adaptions of HB novels

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Jan 2002

< Anders.Engwall@era.ericsson.se> wrote:
> Kevin Burton Smith:
> > And what are some of the least faithful?
>
> I believe a movie may very well keep the
> plot
> more or less intact and still be considered
> unfaithful,
> just consider Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE.

This may have already been mentioned somewhere (I am catching up on two weeks worth of posts after illness and two deadlines have kept me under wraps since the beginning of the year), but EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE is a film that's bad in so many ways, yet interesting.
 It should never have been moved from NYC to LA, for example. But there are aspects of the mood of the film, if I can call it that, that ring very true to me. I can't in good conscience recommend the film, but if you've read the book (and if you haven't, then do so), and then view the film, you may pick up on them also.

And a belated thank-you to all those who responded to my question about historical hard-boiled novels. I was already sick when I asked it, so I'm going to blame my altered state for the fact that I explained the Call For Papers to the group from which I received the Call For Papers in the first place. But there were some excellent suggestions made, some of which will no doubt end up in my TBR pile shortly.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/