Re: RARA-AVIS: noir, cain

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 25 Jan 2002

Eric A said:

> The name Cain keeps coming up -- he of Double Indemnity -- but my favorite
> Noir has to be by another Cain: Paul Cain who wrote Fast One. At the end I
> thought, "My God, all that to this end?!" Good stuff.

It definitely makes my shortlist of favourite noir/hb novels of all time.If you're not already aware of it, you need to check out "Seven Slayers", a collection of stories from "Black Mask" magazine & contemporary to "Fast One" which was originally published as a series of short stories in "BM" also.I have seen somewhere that a volume combining "Seven Slayers" & all(?) the previously unreprinted shorts from "BM" was to be coming out under the title "14 Slayers".This may already have been published, no doubt by one of the small independent publishers. Rene.