Re: RARA-AVIS: Love's Lovely Counterfeit

From: Paul Sowle ( ambrosehunter@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jan 2002

It's a short novel. You can find it in the paperback collection Three By Cain, which also includes Serenade and The Butterfly. You should be able to find this online for $6-8.

I haven't yet read LLC, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was an influence on Miller's Crossing. In the interview book My First Movie, they mention "we were both interested in and had read a lot of pulp fiction like Cain and Hammett-and Cain especially..." Of course, this is in reference to Blood Simple.

To me, The Man Who Wasn't There is almost like Lolita as written by Cain.