Re: RARA-AVIS: horace mccoy

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 25 Jan 2002

>From: Robison Michael R CNIN < Robison_M@crane.navy.mil>
>ok, what about horace mccoy? what would you recommend by
>him? there's quite a bit of his work in print. i would tend to lean
>towards _they shoot horses, don't they_, simply because i've
>heard of the movie, but that doesn't make it his best book.

From everything I've heard and read, this is by far his best book, and it really is good. As for David Goodis, SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER was originally titled DOWN THERE (it got its new title from the movie) and is probably representative of his work. I understand THE BURGLAR is also pretty good, but most of his stuff in the fifties is pretty much of a piece.

May I recommend a couple of omnibus volumes: CRIME NOVEL OF THE 30s AND 40s, and CRIME NOVELS OF THE 50s, from the Library of America. The first contains THEY SHOOT HORSES... and several other good books, but the second is really terrific. It's got DOWN THERE, THE KILLER INSIDE ME, a Chester Himes novel (THE REAL COOL KILLERS ???) and Willeford's PICK-UP. And its only like $16.

Graham
------------- http://www.BleekerBooks.com Hardboiled and Noir