RE: RARA-AVIS: hard boiled humor

From: btoomey@javanet.com
Date: 24 Jan 2002

<<<< I remember falling off my chair reading a western story in Continental Op II, I think. The fellow goes to ride a mean horse. . . . know the story? Can you recommend any other hilarity, whether stand-alone or incorporated within the shadows?

Corkscrew, right? It's in The Big Knockover. One of my favorite Op stories. I was disappointed that Steven Marcus didn't include it in his otherwise exemplery collection of Hammett's shorts for Library of America. The collection is still worth getting since it reprints the stories as they originally appeared in Black Mask, not the edited versions that appeared in later collections.

BobT

-------------------------------------------------------------------- mail2web - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com/ .