Re: RARA-AVIS: Charles Williams, again

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 23 Jan 2002

> Etienne said, "I think Williams is unjustly forgotten these days in the
> USA."
>
> But not by everyone. Ed Gorman has a fine essay on him in a book called
> Murder off the Rack, probably out of print.
>
> Bill Crider

Even so, I had no problem ordering a copy through Amazon. Although at $24
(closer to $50 where I live) not incl postage it was rather pricey (that's worth nearly half a day's labour to a lot of people in these here parts) I don't begrudge a cent.It's almost worth the money just to have the piece about Peter Rabe by Donald Westlake.This book is one of the few that even mentions writers such as Rabe , Williams & Whittington - it's the only one I know of that discusses them at length. Speaking of these authors - quite some time back I recall someone stating that they had heard/read/been told that Barry Gifford was starting a new line of noir reprints along the lines of Black Lizard (who had intended reprinting some of Williams' books but didn't get around to it before they were bought out). Can anyone confirm/deny this or know anything about it at all? I've been hanging out for news but aside from the initial report I've not seen anything that even hints at such an occurrence. Is it all just wishful thinking?