RARA-AVIS: Cartoons, not Comics...

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2002

>Does anyone else recall Jim Steranko's Red Mist (aka Chandler) a mass-market
>sized paperback graphic novel published in the early seventies, both a
>homage to noir and a pretty decent story in its own right as I (dimly)
>remember.

Yeah, I do. Have a copy, in fact. And, if my memory serves me well, it was supposed to be re-released last year, in a deluxe, expanded edition, a sort of artist's cut. As far as I know, it never came out. Too bad -- it was supposed to finally be printed on decent paper, and a lot of of material, deleted originally, was to be reinstated.

But actually, I was asking about hard-boiled cartoons, not comics.

Though both The Spirit and Batman were originally comics (ie: published works), so I guess we can do an end run around the "no movie talk" rule. (And it's still a hell of a lot more relevant to the theme of this list than the debate about how much of a wanker Miles Davis was).