RE: RARA-AVIS: williams, brewer, and rabe...and Willeford: Blumen thal corrects

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2002

I know that Charles Williams is practically forgotten in his own country, but I have to contradict. If the sea is important in Williams' work it's not the central theme of it. Far from it.. Only a few have the sea and sailing ships as background. His works go from riotously funny novels as: THE DIAMOND BIKINI(and its sequel: Uncle Sagamore's Girls), through capers,naturalist novels (early in his career), to quite a few books which are really noir … but all of his production is most of the time of very good quality! Like: NOTHING IN HER WAY A TOUCH OF DEATH MAN ON THE RUN AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA

Quite a number of his novels were adapted for films.

As far as I know he published 23 novels; he committed suicide in 1975.

I think Williams is unjustly forgotten these days in the USA.

==== As for religious themes (or using religious backgrounds) in HB/Noir novels, there are quite a few as well, such as: SWEET CHEAT by Peter Duncan (small gem of cynic humor), SALOMON'S VINEYARD by Jonathan Latimer, THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER by Davis Grubb. And more.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384