RE: RARA-AVIS: The Glass Key

Date: 23 Jan 2002

donlevy and ladd are great together in this film, imho, and ladd is wonderful-- he shows more range here than he normally gets credit for. the brutal scenes bill is referring to are between ladd and william bendix and feature a very strong homoerotic subtext that surprising me every time i watch the movie-- i always wonder if contemporary audiences were as struck by it as we are now. anyway, i love the movie (but then i'm a big fan of both ladd and donlevy).

and, as has been discussed here many times, MILLER'S CROSSING is also a version on this story. gabriel byrne plays the ned beaumont role and is utterly fantastic.

martha <mailto:>