Re: RARA-AVIS: Introducing myself

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2002

Rene Ribic wrote:

> Eventually I picked up all the
> different vol's (I think) except the Anthony Boucher which appeared to be cozies
> type fiction so I passed it by - this may have been a mistake.

It was. Boucher's fiction is far from hardboiled, but he was a great friend of hardboiled and one of the first important reviewers to pay attention to tough paperback originals. His mystery novels and short stories are witty and ingenious, not cozies at all unless you consider John Dickson Carr to be a writer of cozies. I'm particularly fond of The Case of the Seven Sneezes, which introduced me to T.S. Eliot at the age of twelve, an event I still haven't quite recovered from. Of course, Eliot isn't hardboiled either, but he's not exactly cozy...

BobT