Re: RARA-AVIS: Introducing myself

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2002

On 23 January 2002, Rene Ribic wrote:

: My personal favourites are Thompson, Chester Himes & Peter Rabe.I
: generally prefer "vintage" authors, particularly the Gold Medal
: authors but I try to keep up with more modern authors - favourites
: include the "Stark" Parker books, Elmore Leonard, Walter Mosley,
: Gerald Petievich - just off the top of my head.

I'm glad to see you got around whatever it was that was keeping you from joining. Welcome to the list! Sounds like you had a great introduction--Hammett, Chandler, Cain, Burnett, McCoy and Thompson would hook anyone. I discovered Thompson through O'Brien's HARDBOILED AMERICA
(a look at hardboiled and noir writers) and the pre-Vintage Black Lizard reprints, and that hooked me too. When you're looking around trying to find crime writing you like, finding THE KILLER INSIDE ME is a knockout.

Cheers,

Bill