RARA-AVIS: Camilo Jose Cela

From: Mark Harris ( mark_r_harris@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jan 2002

Mark wrote:

<I saw this Associated Press obit of Camilo Jose Cela today. I'd never heard of him, but he sounds interesting. Has he been translated into English?

The description of his big book sounds like it could be related to hardboiled. It also brings to my mind comparisons with Isaac Babel. Is either of these assumptions even close?>

At least four of Cela's novels have been translated into English - The Family of Pascual Duarte; The Hive; Mrs. Caldwell Speaks to Her Son; Mazurka for Two Dead Men - as well as several other books. Here is a good Internet reference entry on him:

http://kirjasto.sci.fi/cela.htm

I haven't read his books, alas, so can't comment on his hard-boiledness or relation to the great Isaac Babel. I agree that he sounds quite interesting - one of dozens, even hundreds, of 20c European novelists I would like to "get to".

Mark Harris

===== Mark Harris Educational Consulting College Admissions Strategies 773-914-3472 http://admissionsplus.blogspot.com/