Re: RARA-AVIS: Camilo Jose Cela

From: Mrriter@aol.com
Date: 20 Jan 2002

In a message dated 1/19/2002 4:27:20 PM Mountain Standard Time, DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net writes:

   "I saw this Associated Press obit of Camilo Jose Cela today. I'd never heard of him, but he sounds interesting. Has he been translated into English?"

Yes. At least "The Family of Pascual Duarte" is available in English. This book is lean, cold, bleak. Example: "The day I decided I would have to use my knife on her, I was so weary of it all, so convinced in my bones that bloodletting was the only cure, that the thought of her dying didn't even quicken my pulse. It was something fated, it had to be and would be." I hadn't heard that Cela had died--thanks for the notice.

Manuel Ramos