Re: RARA-AVIS: Survey

From: Robert Stokes ( restokes@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 19 Jan 2002

Hi Jose,

I prefer (a) or (b). The reason being I'm unable to read print and use a text to speech reader to read all my books. Consequently, it's not so easy to skip backwards and forwards when plots become complicated or too many characters are introduced in quick succession. I recently attempted a book that listed all the characters on the first three pages, including details about them such as age, sex, physical gharacteristics etc. I think the author's intention was that readers should get straight into the plot and refer back as new characters were introduced. It certainly didn't work for me and I soon gave up.

I've just started 'The Day After Tomorrow' by Alan Folsom. I'm just two per cent into the book and already having difficulty keeping up with the characters. I think I'll start again from the beginning. I have to do this quite often when books start with a rush.

I'm dying to know your reasons for conducting the survey but will be patient.

Best wishes.

Robert Stokes.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jose Latour" < alaiep@cubarte.cult.cu> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 3:13 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Survey

If I may, I would like to make a survey among Rara-Avis members.

Disregarding all other factors (plot, literary value, et cetera) which kind of crime novel do you prefer

a) One protagonist and less than six or seven secondary characters

b) Two main characters and between eight and fifteen secondary characters.

c) Two or three main characters and more than sixteen secondary characters?

I anticipate my gratitude to those who are kind enough to answer.

Jos頌atour