Re: RARA-AVIS: kent anderson

From: Etienne Borgers ( freeweb@rocketmail.com)
Date: 19 Jan 2002

Mark, read the two novels by Anderson as you wish, but read them!

SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL, this non-typical Vietnam war novel is gripping and grim. With the same character as in Night Dogs.

NIGHT DOGS is the best noir book I red in a couple of years, and I still do not understand the general underrating and lack of real exposure it got in the USA. Theme and writing are exceptional in this novel. And there is no affectation or unnecessary violence... A great book. We are way above writers such as Harris, extensively discussed here. Anderson gets your soul and your guts, in the best cases Harris gets you cheap thrills.

Then, always speaking about writing quality, JK Rowling (and her Potter- shortly discussed here) amazed me when I discovered that she first received in the UK a kind of prize for juvenile novels "... because of the high quality of her writing". Interested in juvenile lit, and being in British environment at the time (97- before the int'l craze ), I tried to read the 2 first books... may, may may..if this is style and good writing... But I don't shoot ambulances.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384