Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: To Have and Have Not

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 17 Jan 2002

Kevin Burton Smith wrote:

> Beyond the obvious choice of THE MALTESE FALCON, what are some of the
> most faithful adaptations of hard-boiled novels into films? And what
> are some of the least faithful?

GET SHORTY was pretty close to the original. At a conference I saw Dutch read a passage from the book, then they ran the same scene from the movie. It was almost word for word the same, so dead on that the screenwriter, Scott Frank, who was a sitting next to Dutch on stage turned bright red as the audience laughed with wonder at how tough that job must have been.

TL