Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Book/movie

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2002

Duane,

Re your comment below:

> For some reason I'd thought that Leigh Brackett also
> worked on this film [TO AHVE & HAVE NOT],
> but I think this was in production before her
> Hollywood work started. A
> quick www.imdb.com check sort-of verifies this.

Her first Hawks film was the follow-up to TH&HN, THE BIG SLEEP. Hawks wanted Brackett because he's read her PI novel, NO GOOD FROM A CORPSE, and liked her way with Chandler-like prose, so he got in contact with her and arranged an interview. Reportedly, he was very surprised when she reported for the interview and turned out to be a woman. He'd thought Leigh Brackett was a man.

JIM DOHERTY