Re: RARA-AVIS: Hannibal/Red Dragon

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2002

George, Re your comment below:

> The book [RED DRAGON] is a good
> one, although I haven't read it in years. It's
> actually already been made into a movie once, called
> MANHUNTER, which suffers from an inadequate cast but
> otherwise holds pretty true to the novel. (The guy
> from Crime Story, I think, plays Crawford, and the
> lead FBI investigator now has a role in C.S.I., a
> show
> I've never watched.)

Dennis Farina (who, as you remembered, was the lead in CRIME STORY, another Mann production) played Crawford.
 William Peterson, who is the lead on CSI, played Graham, who is billede as a forensics expert which may have led him to his TV role.

I've got to seriously disagree with you on the inadequacy of the cast. I thought Peterson and Farina were great in their parts, and I thought and think that Bryon Cox as Lector was actually superior to Hopkins. He doesn't have nearly as much screen time as Hopkins but seems to dominate the entire movie. It's interesting that Lector, who is never identified as British in the books if memory serves, is played as British by British actors.

JIM DOHERTY