Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: To Have and Have Not

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 16 Jan 2002

Granted the movie has virtually no connection with the book, However, it's a very good movie. I know a lot of critics consider it better than Casablanca. I don't but enjoy the movie for what it is. It repeats Hawks' common themes of a man having to prove himself and the world in disorder.(Why is Harry Morgan called Steve?). The dialogue is good, the action adequate and Hoagie Carmichael sings his own songs The eighteen or so Bacall so attracted the mid 40's Bogart in real life that they wound up having one of the most storied Hollywood marriages, and it shows on screen.

 If you want a movie that is faithful to the plot of To Have and Have Not, see The Breaking Point with John Garfield. Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
  Mark