RE: RARA-AVIS: Havana Bay

From: Jose Latour ( alaiep@cubarte.cult.cu)
Date: 10 Jan 2002

I don't know if Martin is planning to do another book on Cuba. Haven't communicated with him in over a year.

I haven't seen "Wiseguy." Syncretic means exactly what you say. In Cuba it's a blend of of non-native religions (there were no Africans in Cuba; the Spanish conquistadores imported them as slaves) and also imported
(Christian) deities by the Spaniards. The truly Cuban Indian deities disappeared with colonization. Under the Inquisition, Spanish priests burned to death Indian magic men in the stakes.

The Guantanamo Naval base was established in 1903, in perpetuity.

Jos頌atour