Re: RARA-AVIS: Historical crime writers

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 10 Jan 2002

George Upper:

> I've just received a call for papers on historical
> crime fiction, but I'm not familiar with any of the
> names listed. Would anyone consider any of the
> following hard-boiled?

George, Troy Soos; is supposedly a member of SABR(Society of Applied Baseball Research) and is writing a series of baseball historicals set in the 1920's. The first was Murder at Fenway Park. Someone I asked said, "Not really hardboiled, but close.-- There is some Hammett in the pedigree."

Talking about sports, it just occurred to me to ask you if one of your coaches ever asked your team to win one for the G Upper?

> In the alternative, does anyone have a favorite
> hard-boiled historical detective writer

I agree with Pelancanos, Bergman and Kaminsky in that order and would add Mosely. Mark