Re: RARA-AVIS: HARDBOILED/belatedly, Davis as icon for most of the wrong reasons: John

From: dave ( birdlives@earthlink.net)
Date: 08 Jan 2002

Todd Mason wrote:

> Hey, TM ...

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I'll concede your John Lewis point. To call ragtime third stream is bizarre to me. And you agree that Miles is the most important figure in fusion -- matter of fact, every top fusion group of the era, from Mahavishnu to Weather Report gestated in Miles' band.

To me, the bottom line is, Miles achieved what is probably the most critical objective in jazz, or any art form -- a unique and original voice. One that was copied by Chet Baker and many singers, and was almost unanimously by the jazz community.

As for being JAMF, maybe you should look at the previous thread concerning the term -- because that's what I was referring to. But I'll return you the favor. You must be a jamf of a guy, too.

I just don't understand why you guys have such a hard-on for Miles! I love his sound and his music. I like many others, as well. I don't belong to any cult, be it of Miles or Cecil Taylor, whom I have listened to. You must be too cutting edge for me, jazz-wise. At least, circa 1964, or so. Maybe you also dig Coltrane with Pharoah and Archie. If you do, we'll more power to ya -- you're miles beyond me!