RARA-AVIS: JC Oates, et al: Robison after Blue

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2002

Joyce Carol Oates is not only arguably hb, but usually her work is criminous, albeit the aftermath of the crime rather than the crime itself is the focus of most of the fiction I've read from her. Cerebral may be one way of putting it; like Kate Wilhelm, often she takes a seemingly dispassionate view of extremely upsetting matters, so as to engage the reader thus rather than in the more usual direct emotional appeal of hb. TM

-----Original Message----- From: Robison Michael R CNIN [mailto: Robison_M@crane.navy.mil] i'll have to give dunne, didian, and oates a try. my memory is foggy, but i thought i read oates before and thought she was a bit too cerebral for me. i better have another look.
    IMO the Thompson books, and particularly "A Garden Of Sand," are thoroughly hard-boiled, in exactly the same way and for the same reasons that most of John Gregory Dunne's work and much of Joan Didian's and Joyce Carol Oates work are hard boiled. The worlds that they create, the attitudes they

strike and the truths they reveal all come out of the best of the HB tradition. On top of that, they are great reads.