Re: RARA-AVIS: two parkers, one rankin, and pattison...

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Jan 2002

--- Michael Robison < zspider@gte.net> wrote:
> hello,
>
> been watching the robert parker discussion. looked
> like some kind
> of consensus that his first were the best. i went
> to border's bookstore
> and looked at all copyrights and the oldest one was
> 1972 called
> something like _the godwulf manuscript_, so i picked
> it up.

Miker,

Ya done good. GODWULF is the first Spenser novel. Parker wrote it in about a year, if I recall correctly, and then sold it in three weeks to the first publisher to whom he sent it. It's a good one.

I think most people, even those who enjoy Parker's current writing, agree that his first books were his best books. However, we often disagree with what "his first books" are. Mr. T., I believe, thinks the quality starts going downhill after the first three in the series. My own opinion is that the first three are great, the next three outstanding, the third three
(7-9, that is) pretty good, and everything after that is readable.

If you like GODWULF, you might also enjoy his three more recent Jesse Stone books, which are a little crisper (if that's a word) than his current Spenser novels. In my opinion, anyway.

Happy reading.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/