Re: RARA-AVIS: answers to big question

From: Stewart Wilson ( stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 31 Dec 2001

"Forstater, Mathew" wrote:
> I picked up the first Richard Stark, liked it a lot, and just went and
> picked up the second. i imagine I will breeze through the series.

Sadly, Mysterious Press is reprinting slowly. It also seems that the later books in the series (before the 1974-1996 hiatus) are very hard to find -- it took me a couple years to track down PLUNDER SQUAD and BUTCHERS MOON at reasonable prices. I also noted that all copies of PLUNDER SQUAD and all but one BUTCHERS MOON were 'lost' from my local library system
(for a city with a population of 2.5 million). The copy of BUTCHERS still in the system is in the reference library, and hence not available for loan. I am sure these losses have nothing to do with the fact that ex-libris copies of those books (even reprints) fetch around $75 US on ebay. In any case, Mysterious, having just put out THE SCORE in their current reprint series, is still eleven books away from getting to BUTCHERS MOON, which is arguably the best book.

Stewart