Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 21 Dec 2001

From: "Hugh Lessig" < hlessig@earthlink.net>
> ...I would recommend "Dick Contino's Blues," which I
> first saw in a long-ago issue of Granta. The characterizations there might
> seem cartoonish, too - but I think some of them really acted that way.
>
> Another of his short stories "Gravy Train," appears in "Hard-Boiled: An
> Anthology of Crime Fiction" which you should get anyway, if you don't have
> it.

If I'm not mistaken, both of these stories and several others are compiled in HOLLYWOOD NOCTURNES, a generally pretty good anthology. And "Gravy Train" is possibly the funniest hardboiled crime story I have ever read. If Ellroy can writer humor like that, he should do more of it.

Graham
-------------- http://www.BleekerBooks.com Hardboiled and Noir