Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: Hugh Lessig ( hlessig@earthlink.net)
Date: 21 Dec 2001

Carrie:

You probably have enough suggestions by now, but I first fell in love with Ellroy's short stuff. I would recommend "Dick Contino's Blues," which I first saw in a long-ago issue of Granta. The characterizations there might seem cartoonish, too - but I think some of them really acted that way.

Another of his short stories "Gravy Train," appears in "Hard-Boiled: An Anthology of Crime Fiction" which you should get anyway, if you don't have it.

I generally like Ellroy a lot, but I know what you mean about the "stylized" writing. Maybe that's why I find his short stories more appealing. It's like eating really rich chocolate fudge -- better enjoyed in smaller bites.

Hugh