Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: dave ( birdlives@earthlink.net)
Date: 20 Dec 2001

I got into the Dog way back in the day, and I'm partial to the old stuff. In trying to outdo himself and every other writer in crime, the recent books almost read like parodies of themselves, imho. So, here's a short list from someone to whom once Ellroy meant a great deal.

1. Clandestine. An early attempt to explain his childhood, and his first period novel. It has an excellent story, and little of the excess that characterize all his later work.

2. The Dahlia -- his greatest novel, by far. To me, "The Big Nowhere" signals his trying too hard. The Dahlia is just a more haunting, riveting story. Maybe because the story of the "Black Dahlia" itself is so compelling. I defy anyone not to become obsessed with Elizabeth Short after this read.

And lastly, don't forget "My Dark Places," his autobiography. It explains it all, and I believe it's an honest wonderful read. In many ways, this is his bravest, most readable work. Oh, yeah. You find it in the "True Crime" section.

Dave