RE: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy

From: sakana@swbell.net
Date: 21 Dec 2001

the one that hit me hardest (i loved all of the LA quartet but hated AMERICAN TABLOID) was THE BIG NOWHERE. i didn't sleep for three nights because of that book: 2 i spent reading it, the 3rd i spent lying in bed, haunted by the book's ending. the story is sort of uncontained and absolutely powerful-- there are times when it threatens to go too far, but in mind ellroy manages to always stay just this side of believable. it really is a phenomenal work.

martha sakana@swbell.net <mailto: sakana@swbell.net>