RARA-AVIS: Re: 19th Century Washington

From: Jim Stephenson ( jestephenson@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 19 Dec 2001

> I've recently come across a first rate suspense writer, Owen Parry, who
> centers his series (2 so far) on a special agent employed by the Lincoln
> Administration

Actually there are three; the newest in the series, _Call Each River Jordan_, was published in October.

Bill is certainly right in recommending these novels, "hard-boiled" or not. Personally I think that they are appropriate to our discussions: Civil War era Washington is depicted as a rank place filled with corrupt or inept officials, and the reluctant hero never affects any real change once he solves a crime. Sounds like noir to me.

Jim Stephenson