RARA-AVIS: Shame the devil

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 19 Dec 2001

Bill wrote:
>If you want a change of pace, read this one after an AA-era Matt >Scudder
>story (but not HOPE TO DIE). Stefanos has almost completely >lost it by
>this book, and he's bingeing and blacking out. Can someone >remind me of
>what he's like in SHAME THE DEVIL?

My recollection is that he's pretty functional, still at the bar and taking his PI-ing pretty seriously - investigating for Marcus Clay's wife Elaine, a defense attorney - and in a steady relationship; but still drinking.
[spoilers]

Karras, who has been off drinks for several years and as I recall never really liked to drink, gives him a few nudges toward sobriety. There's a neat little tradeoff where Stefanos helps Karras out of his depression, and Karras helps Stefanos with his drinking problem. The end is somewhat open, but it left me feeling optimistic about Nick's future - with alcohol at least.

Carrie