Re: RARA-AVIS: Down By the River

From: William Hagen ( billha47@hotmail.com)
Date: 19 Dec 2001

Bill writes:

One thing that struck me at the end of DOWN BY THE RIVER, when Stefanos is winding down with a drink after seeing someone he thought was dead and thinking about all the people who died and how everyone is lonely in their
"own brand of night," was a comparison to the end of that Marlowe novel where the case is over and he goes home and has a drink and stares at his chessboard and says the only way to get by is to have "the hard inner heart that asks for nothing from nobody." What book is that?

I'm going to guess The Long Goodbye, with its deep streams of disillusionment, but in the middle when Marlowe believes Terry Lennox has died.

Bill Hagen