RARA-AVIS: DC, sidekicks and Arnie Kendall

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 16 Dec 2001

Hi Ben,

First of all, thank you for joining us this month. I know you have some fans here who are interested in your ideas about your own work and hardboled/noir in general.

So let me start the ball rolling. Last month while visiting Boston, the list got into a discussion of sidekicks, especially Hawk. Many, including myself, believed that Hawk quickly became a device by which the dirty work in the books could get done without getting Parker's hero's hands dirty, so Spenser remained pure and noble.

Your PI Leo Haggerty also has a highly skilled sidekick, Arnie Kendall. Although Arnie is clearly better at it than Leo, has long trained himself to be a modern day Samurai (well, I guess Ronin, as he has no master), Leo never escapes responsibility, is always complicitous in any violence that occurs. In our brief conversation when I invited you here, you had some very interesting things to say about this. I was hoping you would share them with the class.

Thanks, Mark