Re: RARA-AVIS: DC

From: First Gemini ( firstgemini@earthlink.net)
Date: 16 Dec 2001

I'd like to respond to Mark Sullivan's question about D.C. as a setting for hardboiled fiction and how the accuracy of the setting is determined. Obviously setting is one of the elements you use to help the reader suspend disbelief.You try to convincingly portray the locales for your story, not only physically, geographically, but also the spirit of a place.What that requires varies with the reader..Strangers and tourists may be satisfied by references to the monuments, to the "nation,s capitol" D.C., but local readers will need more to feel that the city has come to life.A variety of concerns determine how accurately I would portray places in the story.Lawsuit avoidance,protection of the innocent, narrative necessity coupled with ignorance of the available reality, research undone by fallible memory,my own sense of what is unique about D.C and it's environs.My stories are not ones that could only be set in D.C. but I want the reader to to feel that they are set in D.C.The accuracy of the settings in my books is not arbitrary, it's the product of all these concerns plus others I'm not aware of,imperfectly acted upon.