RARA-AVIS: Double Indemnity and Malice -- Femme Fatale (was: scudder and nancy drew...)

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@verizon.net)
Date: 16 Dec 2001

Double Indemnity -- That would be Barbara Stanwyck as "Phyllis Dietrichson" in Double Indemnity with Fred MacMurray playing out of character or at least out of the roles he's best known for. Any idea as to whether Phyllis's last name is a coincidence or a tip of the hat towards Marlene Dietrich?

Malice -- Depends on how accurate the info is at http://www.imdb.com/
... Aaron Sorkin and Jonas McCord share credits for the story while Sorkin shares credit with Scott Frank (I) for the screenplay, but nothing about a book. If you check under "Raymond Chandler," however, it does list his credits as books vice story. Kidman does it again in To Die For.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

Sweet Revenge Short Crime Fiction Contest
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/contest/
-----Original Message----- From: George Upper Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2001 5:55 AM
As for hard-boiled femme fatales, we would be remiss not to mention the woman from DOUBLE INDEMNITY...but I'm going to be remiss because I can't think of it off the top of my head. Or if you want to talk movies, Nicole Kidman also did a pretty good job playing one in MALICE with Alec Baldwin and Bill Pullman--I haven't seen the film in a few years but I remember it as a pretty good piece of noir. Anyone know if it was adapted from a novel?