Re: RARA-AVIS: scudder and nancy drew...

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Dec 2001

--- Michael Robison < zspider@gte.net> wrote:
> nancy drew, eh? well i never read a one of them,
> but i paid my proper dues
> with the hardy boys. any of you others been down
> that street?

Actually, I was kidding about Nancy Drew, but I did read a lot of them as a kid. (There's been a fair amount of interest in Nancy and similar series books in academia lately, though, so I may go back and read a few in hopes of finding an essay topic.) I'm not sure how it happened that I got involved with that series and the Hardy Boys, but it happened, and I think I read a Hardy Boys novel or two but for some reason I liked Nancy Better, and read practically everything in the series.

Perhaps that explains my current interest in hard-boiled detective fiction. Maybe I'm compensating.

As for hard-boiled femme fatales, we would be remiss not to mention the woman from DOUBLE INDEMNITY...but I'm going to be remiss because I can't think of it off the top of my head. Or if you want to talk movies, Nicole Kidman also did a pretty good job playing one in MALICE with Alec Baldwin and Bill Pullman--I haven't seen the film in a few years but I remember it as a pretty good piece of noir. Anyone know if it was adapted from a novel?

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/