Re: RARA-AVIS: Scudder

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 15 Dec 2001

On 15 December 2001, Mark Sullivan wrote:

: I'm like him, like to read series in order anyway, but this one really
: shows great evolution in the character over its course.

But the latest one, the new HOPE TO DIE, is the worst in the series. Not because of Scudder, but because Block does something I can't believe, something I cannot stand: he alternates chapters between detective and serial killer, with the serial killer's in italics. I think this was mentioned before, but I'd forgotten it by the time I read the book this week. The killer's right out of glossy-covered thriller serial killer central casting, too. I was horrified. What possessed him? I paid $40 for it, too. Get it at the library.

Bill