Re: RARA-AVIS: Scudder

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Dec 2001

--- Cristoforo < Cristoforo@mediaone.net> wrote:
> have yet to read any Scudder novels. I assume they
> don't need to be read in
> order, so if I were to pick just one, what would be
> a good choice?

Brad--

I'm sure there are those on this list who would disagree with me, but I think the Scudder novels are best read in order. However, if you don't want to do that much reading, or you can't put your hands on all of them, I'd suggest starting with EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE and then moving directly to WHEN THE SACRED GINMILL CLOSES. These were published one right after the other, and are considered by many to be Block's best work--or at least the best in the Scudder series.
 IMHO, they are some of the best examples of hard-boiled writing in the past thirty years.

But I reiterate that I think the series is most enjoyable when read in order. I would probably lean that way anyway--I'm a purist, I guess--but I feel more strongly about it with this series than with most others.

Nancy Drew, for instance, can be read in just about any order you want, especially since most of them are re-writes of earlier installments in the series.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/