Re: RARA-AVIS: DC nonfiction

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2001

On 11 December 2001, George Pelecanos wrote:

: A guilty pleasure and personal favorite is WASHINGTON CONFIDENTIAL, a
: tattler-style look at post-war (the Big One) D.C. For it's style and
: slang alone, this one's an authentic treat for hardboiled aficionados.

I have NEW YORK: CONFIDENTIAL! THE LOWDOWN ON ITS BRIGHT LIFE, by Jack Lait and Lee Mortimer (probably most famous now for being punched out by Sinatra). It's a 1951 Dell mapback, and mentions volumes on Chicago and Washington. I bet most folks on the list would get a kick out of this series. They don't make 'em like that any more, and in Toronto the Good, they never did.

I also have L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, but that's different.

Bill