Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Games

From: Jeff Lander ( jeffl@digital-beach.com)
Date: 11 Dec 2001

Should have also mentioned last year saw a pretty big game called Hitman where you take the role of a professional killer and take out various people (mostly other bad guys) around the world. Good game but certainly not anything approaching Parker.

Most of the games you mention are more in the Adventure genre. This is because until recently it has been almost impossible to do any real storytelling in any kind of action game. This is changing though. "Half-life" had a very X-files style sci-fi plot that was very effectively conveyed through the action. Another one you may like if you liked the ones you listed is "Grim Fandango". It is a very stylish adventure game with a noir style in a Mexican day of the dead setting. The game sends up Sam Spade and films like Casablanca very effectively. Quite a lot of fun.

-Jeff