Re: RARA-AVIS: when the sacred gin mill closes

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Dec 2001

Miker,

Re your question below:

> well i had a question about the scudder series, but
> i think you
> answered it here. my question was where did the
> _sacred
> ginmill_ come in the scudder series, and according
> to your
> letter, it looks like it was at the end.

Although it was written and published after EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE (in which Matt starts to come to terms with his alcoholism), it is set BEFORE the events in that book. Exactly how far before is difficult to determine. The short story version, "By The Dawn's Early Light," starts with the words "All this happened a long time ago." (That might not be an exact quote, but it's as close as I remember). The expanded novel version, WHEN THE SACRED GINMILL CLOSES, is a little more precise, spending the first few pages describing in detail what events were going on in NYC at that time. Where that fits with the rest of the pre-EIGHT MILLION Scudder saga (e.g. THE SINS OF THE FATHER, TIME TO MURDER AND CREATE, IN THE MIDST OF DEATH, and A STAB IN THE DARK, along with the short stories written during that period) is anybody's guess.

JIM DOHERTY