Re: RARA-AVIS: when the sacred gin mill closes

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Dec 2001

Miker,

Re your comment below:

> just finished _when the sacred gin mill closes_.
> moody,
> dark, and intense.

If you liked this book, you should check out the short story from which it derived, "By the Dawn's Early Light."

It was written, at the behest of Robert J. Randisi, for the first PWA anthology, THE EYES HAVE IT. Block, who thought he'd more or less brought the Scudder series to a conclusion with EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE, was reluctant to do the story, but finally decided to set it before the events chronicled in EIGHT MILLION.

The story went on to win both the Edgar and the Shamus in the short story category, and Block decided to expand it into a novel, which, in turn, inspired him to go ahead and continue the series.

While I enjoyed WHEN THE SACRED GINMILL CLOSES, I personally preferred the short story version. I'd be interested in your response, since you read the novel first.

JIM DOHERTY