RE: RARA-AVIS: serial killers...

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 04 Dec 2001

hi mark,

thanks for your response.

noir that i think artful and elegant? i might have chosen the wrong adjectives there, but they struck me as suitable.

here are a few writers that do it for me: michael connelly
(sp?), willeford (ok, i've only read _burnt orange heresy_, but i've got _the machine_ in my hands and more coming), and thomas harris. maybe _silence_ wasn't noir, but lets not split hairs, ok? i'd say _hannibal_ was definitely noir, with starling crossing over to the darkside and enjoying a meal with her new buddy.

miker

"i think that noir well done has a dark and dirty but somehow elegant and artful appeal. both those books were ugly and uninspiring."

You say that like it's a bad thing.

I've got to agree with Anthony on this one. Sometimes life is ugly and uninspiring and noir is there to remind us. I wasn't that impressed the first time I read Killer Inside Me. However, so many people whose opinions I respected rated it highly, I read it again. This time I got it. Still, I think Pop 1280 is an even better version of a similar story.

I was blown away when I read "Shella." And prior to that, I was not a fan of Vachss. This novel lead me to the short stories, but I still can't read Burke.

I'm curious, though. What noir do you consider "dark and dirty but somehow appealing and artful"?

Mark