RE: RARA-AVIS: serial killers...

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 04 Dec 2001

thanks for the comments, anthony. i saw your web site today for the first time. great work!

"artful and elegant" are maybe not the best adjectives, but my reference was to the writing, not the bad guys.

i must admit that i'm less than happy with my inability to accurately describe my dislike for the mentioned books. vague comments like, "well, i thought it was boring," doesn't really leave much open for discussion.

miker

That's what makes "Killer Inside Me" a classic ... bad guys are ugly and uninspiring. Criminals and the criminal mind are not elegant or artful. Thompson took off the gloss and pseudo-hero worship that Billy the Kid and other psychopaths/sociopaths obtained and revealed the reality in all it's ugliness.

--

Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Robison" <zspider@gte.net> Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 9:48 PM

i think that noir well done has a dark and dirty but somehow elegant and artful appeal. both those books were ugly and uninspiring.

-- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ . -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .