RARA-AVIS: Re: PARODIES

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Dec 2001

Not a parody, per se, but perhaps more of a wink:

One or two of the Trace novels by Warren Murphy, mentioned on this list a few times in recent memory, speak of a restaurant in NYC with pictures of writers on the walls. The comments of the characters are so graphic--"I can't eat with that ugly face staring at me," etc.--that I have to believe that Murphy is talking about an actualy picture, if not an actual restaurant. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, since I clearly don't?

Murphy also spoofs Parker by having Trace learn to be a PI by reading novels. Parker is never named that I can recall, but Trace quotes Shakespeare and tries to cook gourmet meals (and fails miserably), so who does that sound like to you?

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/