Re: RARA-AVIS: HB Parodies

From: Bob Toomey ( btoomey@javanet.com)
Date: 02 Dec 2001

> Mark: I remember a Gold Medal novel that I read a long, long time ago called
> LET THEM EAT BULLETS. Great title, right? I'm not sure at this late date
> whether it was a parody or a farce.

I reread this recently -- Howard Schoenfeld is the author -- and I'm not sure I'd describe it as a parody, and definitely not a farce. Or maybe I missed the joke. It's a fun novel, but I'd call it fairly straightforward HB, smarter and funnier than most, by a guy better remembered, if he's remembered at all by anybody but me, for a very surreal 50's sf story called "Built Up Logically," in which the main character's profession is Birdsmith. No explaination of what a Birdsmith does for a living is given.

More of a straight parody is Fritz Leiber's Spillane bashing "The Night He Cried."

BobT