RARA-AVIS: serial killers...

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 02 Dec 2001

hello,

a while ago there was a discussion about serial killer books and someone recommended denton's blackburn and thompson's killer inside me. i read both of them... i liked blackburn. the part where he killed the rip-off auto mechanic was hilarious. seemed well-written and plotted. i couldn't stand killer inside me. it was dreary and depressing. it was all i could do to finish it. if i hadn't paid so much for it and if it wasn't a classic, i wouldn't have. the closest comparison i can think of is vachss's stella. one might say that is the nature of noir, but i'm inclined to disagree... i think that noir well done has a dark and dirty but somehow elegant and artful appeal. both those books were ugly and uninspiring.

miker